Garden Design Services
How does it work?
- I carry out a quick assessment of the site.
- We discuss your aspirations for the garden, the level of future maintenance required, and your budget.
- We agree an outline brief for your project.
Site survey and analysis
- I survey the existing site including position of boundaries, existing features and ground levels.
- I draw up accurate plans of the existing site.
- This step is essential for all but the smallest gardens if design work is to be commissioned.
- I present plans and sketches of the proposed design, suggest materials to be used and discuss the planting with you.
- After taking into account any changes you might like to make, I produce a final scale plan showing the structural elements in the garden and planting areas in general terms (e.g. “mixed border”, “woodland planting”).
- I will always aim to produce a design that can be completed within the available budget, for example by selecting materials that offer value for money without compromising on function, durability or the quality of the design.
- If the design only includes small amounts of hard landscaping and minor site clearance, I can quote for clearing the existing garden and constructing the garden myself.
- For more complicated designs, and major site clearance, you will need to appoint a landscaping contractor.
- I can provide hard landscaping plans from which a landscaping contractor appointed by you can construct the garden (or if you wish to construct the garden yourself).
- Plants are my speciality, and I can draw on a wide knowledge of both garden favourites and more unusual varieties.
- I select plants that will thrive in the particular soil type, aspect and situation of your beds, will provide a long season of interest and will create the mood and style you are looking for.
- I present plans and sketches of the proposed planting scheme, and illustrating the key plants I have selected.
- After taking into account any changes you might like to make, I produce a final scale plan showing the location of every plant in the design as well as a list of all the plants with sizes and quantities required.
Supply of plants and accessories
- I can source, supply, lay out and plant the plants for you.
- I can also source and supply accessories such as furniture pots and planters.
I can provide a seasonal maintenance plan detailing what needs to be done in terms of maintaining each of your new plants, and when these activities should be carried out.
Alternatively, I can provide an ongoing maintenance service to keep your new garden looking great.
My qualifications and experience
- Royal Horticultural Society Level 3 Certificate in Practical Horticulture.
- Royal Horticultural Society Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation.
- I worked for fifteen years as a curator of the herbaria at Kew Gardens and the Natural History Museum, which has given me a thorough knowledge of a wide variety of plants and their natural habitats (and therefore their growing requirements) and which fuelled my life-long passion for gardening and growing plants.
I am based in southeast London, but cover the whole of London.
For more information, please contact me using the form below: